Skip to main content

[FIST 100] Black and White Movies - Psycho (1960)

 I actually having seen Alfred Hitchcock that I can think of so this movie was a first of his for me.  I'm also not particularly a huge horror person and knowing this was an older movie I wasn't really sure what to expect.  I thought the movie was good but there are two particular things I enjoyed about the film.

Firstly, I really enjoyed the black and white filter.  I really wish black and white filters were used more often that they are because I feel like the filter completely changes the way the movie is seen.  Another movie I recently saw in black and white was The Lighthouse (2019).  With movies like that I cannot imagine what it would have been like in color.  The black and white filter sets a specific tone and the directors that use it know how to use it and how they want to use it.  I also feel like it isn't used very often because the average media consumer might now like the artsy ascetic of black and white so Hollywood films need to appeal to more people, but nonetheless, I think the black and white overall contributed to my enjoyment of the film.  

The second thing I enjoyed about this film was the transition between characters.  The murder of Marion was an unexpected scene which forced us to question who will the story follow.  To me it was even more surprising because I thought both Norman and Marion would be two big characters for their rest of the film.  I think Kaja Silverman's article also added to how I viewed this part in the movie in how gaze is used for Marion when its all of a sudden shaken up.     

Overall I enjoyed the film and it is always nice to see different horror films despite me not liking the genre so much.  The horror genre in the modern day can have some really interesting ideas but some of the slashers have extreme over the top gore.  Psycho gave me the thrill of watching a slasher without all of that gore, even though at the time, the gore and nudity was extreme.  



Poster for Psycho


Comments

  1. Hi Davis! I hadn't thought too much about the black and white in Psycho, but I'm curious to hear more about your thoughts on it in the future! Personally, while I didn't mind the black and white, I can't articulate what it did to benefit the movie either (besides making it feel older, which I suppose has a certain affect to it). I'll definitely be thinking more about the reasons to use black and white over color in future films.

    Before studying Psycho I might have claimed that it truly didn't matter, but with the amount we've unpacked as a class about the power of shot angle and editing, I'm sure there's more going on with the medium than I can parse right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand where you're coming from! I absolutely hate horror movies but this one wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and I was actually very impressed with the cinematography work throughout the film. The gore is usually what gets me freaked out, but this movie made it digestible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

[FIST 100] Uno Reverse Card: Daughters of the Dust

 It's been a bit of a long week so I'm using the title as a joke to get a laugh out of some people.  As a bonus the title relates to the post too. I really enjoyed analyzing Daughters of the Dust and discussing Dash's may ways a defying Hollywood traditions.  I mostly enjoyed this through her sue of cinematography.  In most Hollywood films the way the story movies along via dialogue between characters, but in Daughters of the Dust this story telling is don't through largely the cinematography.  In Hollywood most cinematography are beautiful shots of some event that's happening and those shots are frequent in a movie.  Many of the shots include the main characters.  In Daughters of the Dusk, cinematography of the amazing landscape is put over dialoged to establish the world and tell the story.  It almost feels as if the camera is the main character and the cast are the4 supporting roles.  (This is why its an Uno Reverse Card).  This makes the movie rely more on cinem

[FIST 325] Bad Hair - Pelo Malo

Pelo Malo is an interesting look into the world of Venezuelan culture.  I think that the use of Junior's hair as the plot point through throughout the film is an interesting way to explore his culture but also what Junior wants to be.  Junior tries many different ways to straiten his hair much to his mother's disapproval and this creates lots of tension within the Junior and his mother.  The thing I want to discuss in this blog is how that tension was used in the film.  The movie itself can be hard to watch at times because you feel bad for junior unable to find the support he wants and the hostility between him and his mother adds to this.  But there are also times in the film where these moments of tensions can create some beautify done scenes.  The scene I want to use as an example is the scene we watched in class where junior cuts his hair.  This is obviously a very hostile moment between Junior and his mother and this is evident in the stares they give each other.  Particu

Flashbacks to Middle School: PEN15

 PEN15 was easily the most cringe piece of media I have seen all term.  This is, however, not the fault of the show.  When watching a show about people developing in middle school, you can't help but think back to your own middle school experience.  Middle school in general is just a pretty horrible awkward time for most people, I can't think of a person I know who genuinely enjoyed middle school.  I for one absolutely can't stand thinking about my experience at that age.  But that is simply just middle school, and that age is just a supremely awkward time.  Nonetheless, PEN15 does a decent job of exploring just how award and rough middle school can be.   The show did a number of things especially well.  One thing that I enjoyed was the use of music throughout the show.  I thought the music added an extra layer of comedy that helped the show.  I also thought the relationship between Maya and her family, or more specifically Maya's character as a whole was really interes